The other night at mart's work party, one of his colleague's wives asked me what dessert she thought I should serve for Sunday lunch for her 22 (!) family guests. Influenced by my delicious girlie pink converse that I had just bought, I thought of 'Eton Mess'. It's quite a summery dessert but I thought it was a pretty easy one to prepare for that many people and a guaranteed winner with all the family also. I might have to make some myself. In the meantime, I can't wait to wear my All Star's to work to help brighten up these wintery days.
(Eton Mess photo (c) Cliona O'Flaherty)
REALLY QUICK ETON MESS
600ml double cream
12 meringue nests
450g strawberries or raspberries (or a mix of both)
mint to garnish
- Whip the cream to soft peak stage and crumble the meringues over.
- Blitz half of the berries in a mini blender to a smooth puree.
- Crush the remaining berries lightly with a fork.
- Add both to the cream and meringues and gently fold everything together.
- Spoon into pretty serving glasses and garnish with mint to serve.