Monday 19 April 2010

Homemade Lemon Curd


If your lemon face has come back to normal from the recent lemon granita, then pucker up in anticipation of my delicious lemon curd. I keep ending up with loads of lemons left over from work and I knew that this weekend something had to be done about them before they took over completely. 

As if I needed any more encouragement with using them up, my work buddies over at Pacific TV in London, having just started tweeting, have thrown down the gauntlet in their first foodie fix..."Make us something yummy with lemons and send us pictures of the result". Loving (winning) a challenge, I went with my top favourite lemony treat. So here you go guys....I even sewed the name tag for extra points.....so what's my prize?!

LEMON CURD

Ok, so lemon curd isn't top of the list for the bikini diet (which is obviously why it's so darn good) but it's not like you eat a whole lot of it at once. Right?! I'm dreaming of it sandwiched in a cream sponge, lathered on a corner of crusty bread, marbled through mascarpone for a cheats cheesecake or straight from the spoon even! Mart just wants it on a knickerbockerglory. Try swapping the lemons for oranges for an equally delicious curd.


Makes 1L

Zest & juice of 4 lemons
400g caster sugar
150g unsalted butter, diced
8 eggs, beaten

Pour the lemon juice into a bowl set over a pan of simmering water and add the zest, sugar and butter. Stir until the sugar dissolves and butter melts.

Remove from the heat and whisk the eggs in quickly (you don’t want them to scramble).

Sit the bowl back on the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly, until the curd is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.

Pour into sterilised jars and leave to cool before covering. Keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.


9 comments:

Lilly Higgins said...

Oh my goodness! You had such a busy weekend! All your weekend posts are absolutely gorgeous! Pompoms, gingham, lemons, ribbons,teacups! And now you can embroider writing? You have to win!x

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love Lemon Curd! And the pinked fabric circles really makes the whole jar look beautiful!

Ciara Brehony said...

Stop! Stop! Oh swoon...I adore Lemon Curd.
*mouth waters ridiculously*

And you even embroidered the labels...

Designermmg said...

no way! did yo actually embroider the name.. Sharon ur mad!!!! but it is a dream !!! have to try this one...lucky Chris lol

marty, sharon and pearl said...

ha ha.....sounds like my machine embroidery went down well then!! am i a nutter?! but its so cute, non?

Patty said...

LOVE lemon curd!! The tag is such a cute touch ;)

DesignFingers said...

LOVE the embroidered tags Sharon! Hope you're well busy lady!

Lorna said...

I need to stay away from your blog (trying to lose weight)!!

My Grama's Soul said...

I have a lemon tree......I'm going to make this wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us.


Jo

Œ