Wednesday 11 February 2009

recipes for a perfect marriage

This book caught my eye before when I was searching the net for something or other. There was a great website to go with it (www.recipes.ie) which doesn't seem to be working anymore but it had lots of recipes on there too (which is most likely why I ended up on it in the first place).

Anyhow, my friend Richel gave me the book when I was down in Cork last week. Very timely with Valentines coming up and very ironic that I was saying to my parents recently that the secret to our successful marriage so far is us being apart!! Mart and I have hardly seen each other over the last few months as we dash in different directions with work. (Incidently, I thank my universe as it keeps us both away from this crazed building site of a house to save some sanity!)

When we do have a day or two together in Dublin we do our usual nagging each other (well, I nag Mart) and I always laugh saying we were better off being away with work - that sounds terrible - I don't mean it like that - it's just a joke between us (maybe that's part of our recipe?!). Anyway, as I said in the last post, it's our 'happy 10 years together day' coming up (2 more sleeps, with a read of this book to help me nod off) so here's a sweet thought from the book to leave you with...

HONEY CAKE

Although I always had a sweet tooth, I never liked honey until I ran clean out of sugar one day and tried this. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour and 2 teaspoons of baking powder with 1 Lb of flour and set aside. Cream together about 5oz of butter with just short of a full jar of honey. Gradually add the dry ingredients along with 3 eggs beaten into 1/4 pt of milk until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You can add 1 teaspoon of vanilla or cinnamon to taste - but I always preferred it plain. Turn into a greased loaf tin and cook in a medium - hot oven for up to 1 1/2 hours.


No comments:

Œ