Thursday 13 November 2008

This week I'm loving...Celeriac



Yay, celeriac is back in season! Once I tackle the tough, knobbly skin, I love the celery, parsley, nutty tasting flesh. Today, I made lasagne in work and brought some home for our tea. It was a surprise treat for Marty as we haven't had it for so long now being the oven-less couple we are. Now, you can't have lasagne without coleslaw; at least we think so. I'm sure the Italians wouldn't agree.

Anyhow, I made a celeriac slaw to go with it. I peeled 2 carrots and bunged them,
lazy girl style, through my processor fitted with the grater blade. I then peeled half a celeriac, chopped it into chunks and put them through also. I tipped the carrot and celeriac into a large bowl and thinly sliced a 1/4 of an onion, adding that too. I stirred through about half a 410g jar of mayonnaise and seasoned with plenty of salt and pepper before stirring the whole thing together. Yum Yum.

This made about 4-6 portions, but in true Friendly Cottage style, between us we worked our way through most of it in one go!

Use celeriac in a soup, as a mash on its own or with potatoes or in a classic celeriac remoulade.

No comments:

Œ